Saturday, January 29, 2011

Excuses

As a senior in high school and then again as a senior in college, I developed the bad motto of "why do today what you can do tomorrow?" It worked out ok in school but isn't proving to be of much use in life after school. I've been trying to adopt Nike's motto "Just Do It"....and that is proving to be difficult. As a nanny and aunt, kids just some how take one's "to do" and re-write it to "play the wii, read a book, help potty train, make pad thai in the play kitchen, snuggle, make lunch, spin in the chair...all with us kids" It's kind of freeing though actually to not be tied down to one's must-get -done-today list. Yet there is a reason I have a "to do" list and I've noticed that I've let the demands of the other things in my life become the excuse for not doing what I need to do. Excuse making is a dangerous thing, especially when using what seems legit excuses. When I look back, I realize that I've been making excuses for so many things instead of taking responsibility. I once had a discussion with a classmate that said "People do not have a sense of accountability any more, but make excuses left and right for their behavior, and society is becoming immune to this behavior." I know I'm starting to ramble...I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to stop making excuses--to myself and to others--and simply just do what needs to be done or what I said I would do. Life is too short to be wasted on excuse-making.


1 comment:

  1. Good point. When I catch myself thinking, "I can't do this..." I stop myself and realize how pathetic that sounds. As Kelle Hampton says, "I am capable."

    ReplyDelete